Wednesday, January 27, 2010

On Mayhem: WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE

Don't get me wrong: I love Middle Tennessee. I love the gorgeous hills,



I love the people,



And, normally, I love the weather. Very temperate, and we have actual seasons, unlike when I lived in South Florida and it was just hot all the damn time.

But here's the thing about Middle Tennessee people and weather: we can't handle snow. Especially when you combine snow and ice. Snow and ice and schools. We close school if someone is overheard in a grocery store aisle saying that it was icy and there was light snow when they visited Aunt Marsha in Minnesota last week. BECAUSE IT MIGHT COME HERE! THE WEATHER MIGHT DRIFT HERE AND IT MIGHT SNOW AND WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!

But we don't die. No, we cancel school three days before the "winter event" gets here, we go to the grocery and buy ALL of the milk and ALL of the bread. And maybe some shrimp cocktail and batteries, just in case.

And this happens every time. Every single time. And trust me, I like snow. A lot. I like how everything looks so clean and stark on a snowy morning. And we don't get enough snow here to take it for granted. But the weather people on TV start predicting it days in advance, and so we have to wait and see. And it's all anybody can talk about: the SNOW, when is the SNOW coming, how much will it SNOW, will they cancel school (yes), how many days will we be SNOWED IN? Stranded! Trapped in our homes! Thank God for the shrimp and batteries!


So here's what I propose: calm down, people of Middle Tennessee. Even if it does snow (and we all know that when you discuss it to death, and when the weathermen actually predict it, it rarely happens, we know this) then just don't get out and drive in it unless you have to, because if there's anything worse than Middle Tennesseans freaking out about snow it's them attempting to drive in it. Stay home, curl up with your kids or loved ones or pets, and relax. Spend some time together. Talk to each other. Play games, cook a meal together, watch a movie.

Snow days, I think, are the perfect excuse to do nothing but chill. Seems appropriate, don't you think?


3 comments:

  1. Twitter took me here at your blog.

    I'm a Japanese guy in early 40s. I live in Hokkaido, the northernmost island in the far-east country. We have snow here, too, but not much to the extent we often have to close schools:P

    Though sometimes I might not be able to make myself very clear in my poor English skill, let me visit here to post comments once in a while:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tomi,
    I love the snow and I just stay home and watch my woods fill up with snow. Today is especially wonderful since it is Friday and we in western NC can stay in and enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. *snicker* I'm reposting on FB and then I'm sending it to everyone I know here in Iowa...and my friend in Old Hickory.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete